Saturday, December 05, 2009

Hi

So, for Christmas..I've decided that I want my dog back. Jay's mom and stepdad have been taking care of her while we've been saving up money for her deposit. Little did we know that she would need a check up at the vet with a certified weight and clean bill of health. So, we have had to save up a little more. I think when you don't really grow up with a dog, you don't know what you're missing. I had a puppy growing up...a cocker spaniel who peed on EVERYTHING and we moved so we had to get rid of him. But, nothing at ALL like Mocha. Can I tell you about her? She's such a good friend. And, I have to say that I didn't think I would miss her like this. As time goes by, and everytime I see a picture of a dog or hear someone talking about their dog, I think of her. And, I miss her. When we decided that we were going to have to give Mocha to Jay's mom for awhile, it was sad.But, we just felt like 1.) we didn't have the money for the deposit and extra $20 for pet rent per month 2) we just didn't have the time to give her the attention that she needs i.e. walks, runs, ball throws...etc. All I could think about was how nice the fabric on the couch would look without her drool marks all over it. And, how nice it would be to be able to go to sleep without her hogging the bed. But, gosh now that she's been gone for so long, those things are insignificant. I miss the way she looks at me out of the corner of her eye. I miss the way she raises her ears when I say funny words. I miss the way she presses against me on cold nights and makes me feel safe. I miss the way she runs to the door before there's a knock. I miss the round bone on the top of her head and her soft belly. I miss that little soft hairless spot behind both of her ears. I miss being protective of her. I miss her sassy leash. I miss her tucking her butt and running in circles. I miss watching her play with Parker Jay. I miss watching her dream and seeing her cheek fat flap when she snores. All of these things, geez...I've never had. And, no one else and no other dog in the world could replace her. She loves me. She knows when I've had a crummy day and for some reason, rubbing her just makes it all better. She doesn't care how fat I am, how much money I make. She doesn't even care if we buy her the expensive food or the cheap kind. She doesn't even complain if her water bowl has old water in it. She just loves me. Unconditionally. And...other than the love of my husband..this is unlike any love I've ever known. With unconditional love being so hard to find and hold onto...how could we ever get rid of her? There's nothing I'd rather see more than her sweet face on Christmas morning with a big old red bow around her neck.* Or before, of course!! Or maybe a red collar.
I love her. And, she loves me. And, it's cozy. It feels like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my blog. It's a dedicated place for my book reviews, criticism, and love of all things bookish. I am a mom of 4 busy kids that uses reading as my, "thing." I find that reading books turns off all (okay, mostly all?) of the noise of my world and lets me get away for a bit. Reading helps me escape the reality of the piles of laundry that will never be done, the dust bunnies that I swear will one day grow legs, and the emails and outlook calendar that occupy my life Monday- Friday during working hours. Reading is therapy for me and always has been. I've always been a big dork, introverted, creative, and reflective. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd probably open up a used bookstore with my standard poodle somewhere on the side of the mountain and surround myself by others who enjoy passing their time reading. Until then, I'll keep on keeping on. And, I'll settle for reading when I can. Which, I try to fit in as much as possible. Cheers to your busy life and mine, doing the best we can, as often as we can.

Followers