Sunday, October 11, 2009

Fall

Let's blog about how much I love fall can we? This morning I was leaving work, walking out to my car and as soon as the doors opened and the chill hit me, it felt real finally. Fall. Oh, my favorite. The sky was still grey and dark since it was about 730....and oh...I just took a deep breath and cherished it. I love this time of year when there's a chill in the air and the crunch of fallen leaves make music under my tired feet. There's something rejuvinating and refreshing about it. The State Fair will be here, pumpkins will start popping up on porches, funny looking gourds will be out, and if you try hard enough, you can just smell fresh baked pumpkin pie, you can feel the wet seeds in your fingers and think of how gross those pumpkin seeds feel inside the pumpkin. Everyone will be eating their Halloween candy before halloween and picking out costumes for the kids. By November, you'll be sick of the site of candy corn and remember the tummy ache you had from them. If you're like me, you like biting each color section off at a time...it's fun. :) Knitted scarves and matching mittens will be making their debut too and people will be bundled up. Kids will be walking around with HUGE coats on and waddling like penguins because their mom is making them wear their coat that they HATE. (I remember those days too) ...what else do I love about fall? Warmth. I love how it can be freezing outside and you walk into a friend's house, or your mom's house, or your own home and automatically, your insides start to warm up. Not just from the heat, but from the love. It just seems more tangible this time of the year amidst the hustle and bustle. I've always loved fall. When I was in elementary school, I wrote a poem about leaves and won an award; my teacher sent a letter home stating that I had won an award for my poem but my mom never got to see it. Either I lost it in my "Monday folder" or the teacher lost it. Regardless, fall has always been my favorite. I hope that if fall isn't your favorite, that you can just close your eyes and think of all the things you love and be right there in that moment. My moment....crunchy leaves, the smell of burning leaves and real fireplaces; oh, it's sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my blog. It's a dedicated place for my book reviews, criticism, and love of all things bookish. I am a mom of 4 busy kids that uses reading as my, "thing." I find that reading books turns off all (okay, mostly all?) of the noise of my world and lets me get away for a bit. Reading helps me escape the reality of the piles of laundry that will never be done, the dust bunnies that I swear will one day grow legs, and the emails and outlook calendar that occupy my life Monday- Friday during working hours. Reading is therapy for me and always has been. I've always been a big dork, introverted, creative, and reflective. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd probably open up a used bookstore with my standard poodle somewhere on the side of the mountain and surround myself by others who enjoy passing their time reading. Until then, I'll keep on keeping on. And, I'll settle for reading when I can. Which, I try to fit in as much as possible. Cheers to your busy life and mine, doing the best we can, as often as we can.

Followers