Saturday, October 03, 2009

career path?

Alright. So, here's the deal. I'm bored at work. I have a thirst for knowledge and learning and ....right now, it's all totally self-driven. I'm not being stimulated or learning anything. I'm really needing a challenge and a drive at work. I'm crazy right? Just had another baby, I have a toddler at home, and I'm looking for a challenge?? That's just me. I never take an easy path, really. The job that I have right now, it's easy. It's quiet. It's almost mindless, really. The patients are all the same with the exception of their social situation. And, no offense but I think I'm better than this. I'm ready to step it up. I've been a registered nurse for 4 years and it's time for me to have a career and not just a job. I want long-term goals and self-satisfaction. Just being a "registered nurse" isn't enough for me anymore. I've always wanted to fly. But, I'm worried about the skills. I want the training; the hands-on. I want to learn before I'm just thrown into flight nursing. And, that's good because that's required anyways. But obviously, I can't do that if I'm mother/baby nursing. And, I don't want to be pigeon-holed into doing mother/baby for the rest of my life. (NO OFFENSE) I need adventure, change, stimulation in my job. So, I've emailed the nurse manager of the Newborn Critical Care Unit here at UNC. My goal right now (yay, for having a GOAL) is to work there for 3 years or so and get some hard core, hands on skills. I want to pick brains again, ask questions of physicians and nurse practitioners again, and really grow as a nurse. I don't feel like I'm growing as a nurse right now, I just feel comfortable. The nurse manager emailed me back and wants me to call her on Monday. These are the reasons that I wrote to her in the email that I'd like to work for her--I miss cutting edge technology and research and evidence-based practice, I miss education from my peers and colleagues and collaboration with physicians, I miss feeling like I have a career, if I worked on a higher-skilled unti, I would feel more driven, I'm bored at work and feel understimulated, I miss seeing patients get better before my eyes, It's time for me to expect more of myself, I'm thirsty for acceleration, now that I have 2 well children of my own, I'm not scared of taking care of preemies, I want to feel like what I do makes a difference EVERY time I clock in for work. I want to know that I'm moving forward, not backwards, I want the opportunity for advancement, I want purpose in my job. I'm hoping that things go well. I'm not sure what she wants to talk to me about on Monday. I'm just excited about this time in my career. I'm thankful that I'm with a supportive husband who says, "whatever makes you happy, you need to do." I think that if I wasn't feeling so nourished in other parts of my life, I wouldn't have the desire or energy or passion to succeed at work. I'm excited about my future...every aspect of it. I promise to keep you updated!
Oh, on another note, Seth did well lastnight while I was gone..poor Jay looked so tired and beat when I got home! He's wanting to eat and eat and eat. But, that's what happens when you're born weighing 8lbs 8oz I guess! Life is good.
~Baby hugs,
Kimmie

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my blog. It's a dedicated place for my book reviews, criticism, and love of all things bookish. I am a mom of 4 busy kids that uses reading as my, "thing." I find that reading books turns off all (okay, mostly all?) of the noise of my world and lets me get away for a bit. Reading helps me escape the reality of the piles of laundry that will never be done, the dust bunnies that I swear will one day grow legs, and the emails and outlook calendar that occupy my life Monday- Friday during working hours. Reading is therapy for me and always has been. I've always been a big dork, introverted, creative, and reflective. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd probably open up a used bookstore with my standard poodle somewhere on the side of the mountain and surround myself by others who enjoy passing their time reading. Until then, I'll keep on keeping on. And, I'll settle for reading when I can. Which, I try to fit in as much as possible. Cheers to your busy life and mine, doing the best we can, as often as we can.

Followers